Opel Blitz 3,6-36S (1952) Booss & Co
From 1931 the production of the “Opel Blitz” trucks from 1.5 to 3 tons payload started by American standards. The suffix “flash” determined by the manufacturer a competition. In 1936 came the new three-ton “Opel Blitz 3.6 to 36 S” on the market and 1937/38, a new generation of engines. Due to high demand, a new truck plant was built with a production capacity of 150 vehicles per day in Brandenburg / Havel. With 75 horsepower, the “Blitz S” up to 90 km / h was fast and could carry up to 4t readily. 95,000 units, mainly for military purposes, to August 1944, when bombing raids completely destroyed the factory built. From 1940 there was a four-wheel drive version, the “Opel 3t truck 6700 Type A”. Of these, the plant produced about 25,000 pieces. Critical to the success of this type were his light but robust construction, good off-road capabilities and reliability. After the war, all remaining vehicles were needed for the reconstruction and supply, which is why the “flash” for many years belonged in both parts of Germany to the streetscape. The special was next to a four-wheel drive vehicle in several post-war Wehrmacht design modifications including a version with wood gas drive. In addition to the three-ton “flash” are still some lighter types, so-called “vans” that time to see.
As part of a contest the catchy name Blitz was found in 1930 for the new truck series. There were four basic versions of the 1934-ton model and 14 versions of the larger two to two and a half ton truck. As part of the upgrade of the Wehrmacht Opel built in 1935 on the initiative of the Nazi government designed for a total annual capacity of 25,000 trucks truck plant Brandenburg. The larger type of truck got in 1937 as a replacement for the technically outdated side-valve 68-horsepower gasoline engine of the GM-model Buick Marquette a newly constructed OHV engine with 75 hp, which was also used in the Opel Admiral. From 1940 it was the 3.0t unit Opel Blitz trucks from 3.6 to 36 (3.6 liters; 3.6 meter wheelbase) for the Wehrmacht in the flash versions S (standard) and Blitz A four-wheel drive (3 , 45-meter wheelbase). For commercial use came in 1943 a model with standard wood gasification plant in the production.
After the American Management had initially behave passively against the inclusion Opels in the war economy of the Nazi regime, this General Motors threatened with the confiscation of the works as enemy property. The three-tonne Opel Blitz in 1937 produced a “unity Truck” Opel factory in Brandenburg from 3.6 to 36 (see FIG. Schell Plan) was produced at the request of the defense minister Albert Speer as under license of Daimler-Benz Mannheim plant from June 1944. A planned production at Borgward was no longer possible after the Allied air attack of 12 October 1944 the Bremen plant-Sebaldsbrück. Only built in 1943 Opel in Brandenburg / Havel 23,232 vehicles. After being destroyed by a British air attack on August 6, 1944 the Brandenburg plant was indeed rebuilt; to a production but did not get it. By order of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany the dismantled machines were spent in the Soviet Union and demolished all building work.
The Lightning S with three-ton payload was manufactured from August 1944 until the war ended only in the Daimler-Benz plant in Mannheim. This was not in a position to produce more than about 2.500 “flash” tanker lorry to end of war; Therefore, the investment in the production was a commercial failure for Daimler-Benz. As of June 1945, the Mannheim plant the truck built with no manufacturer name under the designation L 701 – first with a cab made of wood hardboard. As of August 1948, the vehicle was handed down by a Certified Opel sheet metal cab.
The trucks were sold under the names Opel as well as Mercedes-Benz. The last 467 vehicles turned Opel in Rüsselsheim 1950-1954 from prefabricated parts even after setting had finished the production of lightning at Daimler-Benz in Mannheim on 10 June 1949. A successor model in this size class (3 t payload) it was not from Opel.
Version: Opel Blitz typ 3,6-36S
lenght (mm): 6100
width (mm): 2265
height (mm): 2025 – 2565
track of wheels (mm): 1542 (front) – 1620 (rear)
weight (kg): 2495 kg.
cargo (kg): 3300kg
Tyres: 190-20 or 7,25-20
Engine “Ottomotor” : 75 hp at 3000 rpm , 6 cyl, water-cooled, gasoline 3626 cm3
Transmission: 5 forward and 1 reverse
fuel capacity (l): 85
fuel consumption (road / off road): per 100 km (l): 25 / 35
max speed (km/h): 85
turning radius (m): 15
ground clearance (mm): 225
This model represent a truck imatriculated in Ulm, Germany, from Booss & Co farming enterprise. The model is a part of Opel collection, issue in Germany and made by Ixo (Altaya) in scale 1/43. Each model of this collection comes with a magazine detailing the history and the specifications of the car. The models themselves come in full display perspex box. The Opel Collection could best be described as ‘semi budget’: more expensive than DelPrado, Hachette & Agostini, but way less than conventional full-price models likes Minichamps, Neo, AutoArt.