The Mercedes-Benz Trucks L-series is a conventional layout, cab-after-engine truck manufactured from 1959 to 1995. In Germany it is most commonly referred to as the Kurzhauber (for “short bonnet”). The engine intruded into the cabin underneath the windshield, all in the name of making a shorter truck to meet the strict period German regulations on overall length.
The short name for these L series trucks in Deutschland is Rundhaubers.
The L-series was first produced in Germany in 1959 and was in production for export until 1995, long after domestic German sales had ended. The L-series was a big export success for Mercedes-Benz and became very popular in the Middle-East, South America and Africa. In Arabia, the L-series in 6×6 sleeper cab configuration (Model ‘LS’) handled heavy road traction almost exclusively.
Originally, medium-weight trucks (L323 and L327, with 110 PS or 81 kW inline-six diesels) intended for shorter delivery and construction work were built in Mercedes’ Mannheim plant. The heavier trucks, for long-distance and heavy construction work, were built in the Gaggenau plant. These were designated L337 and L332B (L334B from 1960), with 12 t (26,500 lb) or 19 t (41,900 lb) total weights and 172–180 PS (127–132 kW) diesel six-cylinders. In 1962 the more powerful 19 tonne L334C was added, mainly intended for export. The model designations were a warren of letter combinations reflecting the vehicle’s intended use, until a new system (still in use today) including overall weight and engine power was introduced in the summer of 1963, for simplification – the first one or two digits indicate the rounded GVW in tones, next figures – engine power to tens of horsepower. According to the new index system the L323 model became L710, L328 became L911, L322 became L1113 and L327 became L1413. Main construction innovation was using diesel engines with direct fuel injection.
The 5.7 L (5,675 cc) OM352 was Mercedes-Benz’ first direct-injection diesel engine. After having debuted in 1964, a 130 PS (96 kW) it found its way into the Kurzhauber in the 1967 L/LP 1113B series (“11” for the tonnage, “13” reflecting tens of horsepower). The engine (and other versions thereof) gradually spread through the range, replacing the earlier indirect-injection units.
After 1995 production in Germany ceased but was continued at Mercedes-Benz factories in South America, where it had already been built for some time. The trucks built in Brazil received a facelift in 1982, with a squared off grille in black plastic featuring rectangular headlights for a more modern (albeit somewhat incongruous) look. The L-series remains in service throughout many of the regions to which it was exported.
In Iran it is known as Benz Meiller and it still produced by Iran Khodro Diesel Company as Khawar in 2 models : 2624 & 1924. The former model 2628 is stopped producing.
In 1969 he was made a record number – 83196 In 1970, the production volume of the Group Daimler-Benz, marked the release of the one millionth truck exceeded the 100,000th milestone. This allowed since the early 70s. undertake regular upgrades of all the series and the introduction of brand new models.
Engine: OM 352
Engine Output: 130 PS
Motor Revolutions: 2800 Rpm
Tyres: 11.00 X 20
Front- Mitas NB 59
Rear- Mitas NT 9 MIL
Electrics: 12 Volt
Front Axle: AL 3
Rear Axle: HL 5/1 S-10
with Differential lock
Axle Ratio: 6/41 which is i= 6,833
Max Speed: 80 km/h with 11.00-20
Servo Steering: LS5
Original Gross Vehicle Weight: 8990kg
Current Maximum allowed Weight: 7490kg
Actual current weight: 8200kg
Length: 8000mm / Width: 2460mm / Height: 3600mm
Koffer: 5.0 m Long / 2.5 m Wide / 2.3 m High
(Sources Minerales Henniez S.A.) is a Switzerland-based company that is principally engaged in the bottling and distribution of mineral water. Henniez Blue is a natural, still water, Henniez Green is a light sparkling water, and Henniez Red is a more intensely carbonated water. Each mineral water variety is also available to buy in polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles. The Company is headquartered in Henniez, Switzerland.